Oddments of all kinds
Grun & Bilfinger SA, contractors
At the back of the Museo Regional in Trelew is an Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0T, No. 12861 of 1936, as shown left. Gauge is 60cm. It carries a conical spark-arresting chimney and the name 'Rodolfo.' It, with its twin no. 12860, were owned by the Grun & Bilfinger construction company's Argentinean subsidiary. They were used for some time at a dam site in Neuquen province before arriving (in 1948?) at the Florentino Ameghino Dam construction works further up the Chubut valley. As well as these two steam locos the Ameghino Dam works used an O. & K. diesel, no. 21016 of 1937, class RL3 (1).
The photo was taken in 1975 when its livery was appropriate to its then location in a playground. Nowadays its colour scheme is a combination of black and rust.
The Orenstein & Koppel worksplate is shown below.
The photo below shows a rope-worked incline in use during the construction of the Florentino Ameghino dam (6). The temporary 75cm gauge branch from the FCCC mainline approached across the top of the plateau, behind the photographer. The dam itself was behind the spur of rock to the right. Much of the construction work was based down in the valley and the incline was therefore constructed to lower materials down to the base level. It is surmised that the incline was of 60cm gauge and linked to Messrs Grun & Bilfinger's operations, but this photo does not provide proof of this, as it might be of 75cm gauge.
Contractors' narrow gauge systems utilised during the construction of the permanent railways.
An Orenstein & Koppel tank loco is carried through the streets of San Antonio Oeste during the broad gauge construction works there (7). The lorry is almost as interesting, and is an early Mack
'Duncan Fox, Patagonia'
Peat workings on Staten Island (Isla de los Estados)
A new peat bog railway
The first picture shows a line running along the edge of the working bog, with a branch leading off into the middle of the workings. The track is of 60cm gauge, in panels imported from Sweden.
There seems to be one loco, a small four-wheeled diesel. This is by Vaggarydsgraväre AB of Vaggaryd in Sweden, and is their builder's number 7 constructed in 1985. To quote Eljas Polho of Finland, "The original owner of VG 7 was Sundholm Skog och Torv AB, Järsnäs, Sweden (A peat operation). The VG-locomotive was sold to Chile in April 1996, with 3 wagons, 1km of rails and some other peat machinery."
Another view of the Swedish diesel.
A wagon chassis out on the moss. Eljas Polho also gave the information that "Hörle Torv (another peat bog in Sweden) sold 10 wagons and 2km of rails to Chile." but whether this equipment also came to Rio Rubens is not known.
A final picture shows the line curving out towards the bog.
An Arthur Koppel advert from an issue of The Review of the River Plate in 1906.
A variety of industrial railways